Thursday, July 22, 2010

Dinner Rolls

Bob used to brag about his grandmother's dinner rolls, which she prepared for a hungry family plus ten famished farmhands with a handful of flour and a spoonful of lard, with one hand tied behind her back, while walking on water. When I first served him these, he told me I had found his grandmother's recipe... whatever. I'm afraid I need two hands free for this.

1 1/2 cups hot water, as hot as you can hold your finger in for a count of ten without pain
1/2 cup milk powder
3 Tbsp. butter, margarine, or oil
1/4 cup sugar
4 tsp. yeast

Mix and let stand till yeast blooms. Add:

1 tsp. salt
2 cups flour
Beat vigorously for 2 minutes. Add:

1 egg
1 cup flour

Beat another 2 minutes.

Add enough flour, blending, to make a soft dough. Knead until smooth and slightly elastic. Let rise, covered, in an oiled bowl until doubled in bulk.

Punch dough down and form into rolls. My favorite are formed by pulling off plum-sized pieces, rolling into a cigar shape, and making a simple knot. When baked, these form a round roll with a navel on top.

Bake 400 20-25 minutes, till golden brown. Serve warm with plenty of butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment